06 November England - Greater London, London Perm €107219.44 - €131045.99 per annum + other benefits
Legal Counsel: Investment Banking
An experienced investment banking lawyer is required to take on the role of Legal Counsel VP - Markets. A high profile role within the bank to advise the macro businesses on the legal structuring of transactions and regulatory changes.
Overall purpose of role
The provision of legal support and legal and reputational risk management to the Macro business in EME across a broad range of products.
* Acting as a subject matter expert in relation to the Macro businesses and working with and advising the Macro business units, Compliance, Risk, CCM and other functions in relation to the legal structuring of transactions and new product development
* Acting as strategic partner and advisor to the Macro businesses, including trading, structuring, distribution and other infrastructure partners on the legal, regulatory, and reputational impact of regulatory change and implementation
* Representing Barclays in dialogue with regulatory and supervisory bodies and industry associations.
* Where relevant, having an understanding of competitors and current industry practice.
* Providing complex and technical legal analysis in relation to the Macro business which feeds directly into contract negotiations with clients and informs decision making in relation to client relationship and transactional matters and, where relevant, creates commercial advantages
* Drafting, amending and/or reviewing and advising on transaction documents,
* Instructing and managing Barclays' relationship with external counsel across multiple jurisdictions, reviewing advice and legal opinions and liaising with internal stakeholders in relation thereto.
* Attending and providing guidance to internal committees with respect to legal and reputational risk.
* Helping to deliver team and departmental objectives, participating in the development of processes, policies and procedures and preparing and delivering training and presentations
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
* The role will involve interacting with senior management in Barclays International and in Macro as well as stakeholders across Legal and Compliance, on complex legal, regulatory and governance issues.
* The candidate must be a strong communicator, capable of explaining legal requirements, interpretation and developments clearly and interacting with senior stakeholders with gravitas.
* Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to engage and motivate colleagues within and outside Legal and present clearly and effectively to senior management in Legal and wider business stakeholders.
* Contributes to the development and implementation of team objectives and strategy
* Makes recommendations for and can implement change
* Works independently with minimal supervision and demonstrates the ability to supervise where appropriate
* Able to plan and manage projects and matters through to completion, including around resourcing
* Demonstrates strong relationship management skills with clients
* Demonstrates the ability to take difficult decisions
Decision-making and Problem Solving
* The role will involve risk management analysis of complex legal, regulatory and governance issues.
* The candidate must have knowledge and experience either of (a) EU financial markets regulation or (b) legal and regulatory issues relating to the trading of multi-asset class OTC derivatives, and experience in developing solutions to legal problems
Risk and Control Objective
* All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
* Fully understands the role of Legal in Barclays and how it interacts with other functions and the business
* Builds strong risk partnerships with colleagues in other functions (especially key control areas as compliance, product and local)
* Identifies and escalates non-legal as well as legal risk issues
* Contributes to the creation of policies and controls
* Identifies improvements in the risk and control framework
* Provides appropriate challenge, equally is robust in the face of challenge
Personal attributes essential to performing role including competencies, expertise, knowledge, and experience.
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
* Qualified lawyer with investment banking legal experience gained in either private practice or in-house
* Identifies legal and commercial risks within the framework of the firm's governance and risk policies, knows when to escalate and integrates with other core risk functions
* Communicates highly technical analysis and advice in a clear and concise manner to a legal and non-legal audience, both orally and in writing, and influences decision-making
* Takes ownership and sees matters to completion through effective prioritisation and delegation and a commitment to teamwork
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
* Understands commercial rationale and client needs and supports the business in formulating and executing strategy
* Leads by example, making timely and effective decisions and producing results even in the face of adversity
* Uses creative and innovative thinking to structure appropriate and sustainable solutions to transactional and regulatory challenges
* Committed to continuous teaching and learning and shares knowledge proactively