Engineering & development
Engineering & development
Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, we operate in over 50 countries and employ over 140,000 people. We provide corporate banking solutions to businesses with an annual turnover of more than £5 million in the UK, and to large local companies, financial institutions and multinationals in non-UK markets. We support the success and growth of our clients by providing lending, risk management, cash and liquidity management, trade finance, and asset and sales financing. To that end, we hire and develop only the best people in the industry. We look for talented, tenacious individuals who are hungry to progress and eager to grow their knowledge.
About Barclaycard Business Solutions
Barclaycard Business Solutions is a portfolio of B2B2C (business to business to consumer) businesses including merchant acquiring, commercial payments, offers and point-of-sale (POS) finance.
Making our clients more successful is at the heart of what we do. We are unique. We are the only business in the UK which can make and take payments, putting us in a unique position to offer a broader choice of payment solutions and products to our B2B customers.
Our focus is on making clients more successful by allowing them to always make the sale, help them pay and to help them to promote and sell.
About Payments Tower
The primary function for the Payments Technology Tower is to support the Global Payments Acceptance business and in doing so running payment transactions for 30% of the UK high street, adding business value by leveraging technology solutions and payments domain / industry knowledge. The tower also operates across Barclaycard and the wider bank providing payment solutions where the other business units are acting as a merchant or in the operation of authorisations and settlement routing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.
Overall purpose of role
Responsible for creating technology solutions to meet business requirements, in line with Cluster and Group IT Strategies and Architectures
Working with the relevant product Owner, Scrum master, Lead Solutions Designer or Technical Lead - responsible for ensuring that the outcomes delivered by projects are consistent with the original solution
Support the development of systems strategy and plan for the supported business area
Provide ad-hoc consultancy as required to the business on technical matters
Note: The department work in an Agile Scrum delivery methodology
* Responsible for creating technology solutions, architectural visions, and stage 0 costs, to meet business requirements, in line with Cluster and Group IT Strategies and Architectures. Work with supply chain (including external) as appropriate.
* Adding clarity to business requirements; challenges business requirements and demands to ensure high quality candidate solutions are created
* Identifying common or duplicative needs across SBU, Cluster & GTIS
* Thinks outside of the box to support the business in delivering its strategic objectives rather than just responding to a pre-defined request,
* Works with project managers and Global Technology Sourcing to advise on supplier and cost options, and to ensure that the validity of the overall solution is fully represented and considered in any RFI/RFPs process, or in the creation and evaluation of proof of concept solutions
Advice and Guidance
* Provide advice and guidance to business stakeholders in shaping the portfolio of technology solutions to be provided to the business
* Contribute to broader architectural governance activities by participating in peer reviews for other solutioners. Form part of broader solutioning community in Barclaycard COO for advice and guidance.
* Maintains detailed awareness of, takes fully into account as necessary, and promotes throughout the organisation, any relevant statutory, internal or external regulations, standards and codes of good practice. Is capable of contributing to the definition of such regulations, standards and codes.
* Working with the relevant Lead Solutions Designer and CAO, supports the creation of an appropriate IT Strategy for the relevant business area.
* Supports the Systems Planning process to ensure interdependencies are understood and that the proposed plan is viable.
* Influence the relevant business strategy to maximize the effective use of technology.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Your Skills and Qualifications will include
Functional Analysis (Business)
Has good general knowledge with some detailed knowledge of products/functions outside of day to day area supported.
Additionally, demonstrates ability to produce solutions which are technically innovative and leading edge thinking.
Able to challenge stakeholders creatively and professionally to create solutions which meet all of the above criteria but which are not necessarily obvious responses to pre-defined requests.
Has a good knowledge of product and vendor evaluation and selection.
Familiar with integration and implementation issues and their architectural implications.
Excellent understanding of best practice architectural and design methods.
Depending on specifics of role, will have either
* an in-depth knowledge and expertise of one or more specific technical platforms, specially TSYS, TS2 and the commercial card portfolio. A strong knowledge of the Bank's middleware capabilities and how these integrate with customer facing applications. A full understanding of the Commercial Card Portfolio objectives and digital roadmap is also necessary.
* a very good broad understanding of a wide variety of technologies pertinent to Barclaycard.
Can describe existing technology infrastructure across all major functions / departments and has a comprehensive grasp of emerging technologies.
Has a working knowledge of the key issues in implementing secure systems and web channel delivery.
Experience of working in an Agile Scrum delivery team methodology is essential
Service Delivery & Support
Good understanding of concepts of service delivery and support
Purpose and Values
Barclays has a single cross-business Purpose for Barclays and five core Values which underpin it.
Our Purpose is helping people achieve their ambitions in the right way. Put simply this is the answer to the question 'What is Barclays for?' and it should guide our every action as employees.
We respect and value those we work with, and the contribution that they make.
We act fairly, ethically and openly in all we do.
We put our clients and customers at the centre of what we do.
We use our energy, skills and resources to deliver the best, sustainable results.
We are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.