Key Accountabilities & Skills Required:
Technical Consultancy (10%)
* Review Technical Feasibility Studies (TFS) for projects that impact applications / products within domain, and assess potential impact.
* Review Advice and Guidance (A&G) documents and project Plan and Estimates (P&Es) that impact applications / products within domain, and assess potential impact.
* Assistance as required in the requirements analysis for system enhancements and any new development.
* Develop an awareness of new tools, processes and technical developments relevant to component area of expertise.
* Hands on development of quality (i.e. readable, performing and supportable) PL/SQL code on an Oracle databases.
* Hands on development of Autosys and Unix scripts, delivering the functionality detailed in the technical specifications
* Providing support during QA Test phases & resolution of defects.
Requirements Gathering (5%)
* Review business requirements to understand how system requirements fit within overall business solution. Challenge any requirements that are incomplete or do not provide sufficient clarity to support effective system development.
* Review requirements to ensure that all areas of functional and non-functional requirements (e.g. capacity, availability, response times, etc.) have been considered.
* Support business clients in defining detailed 'testable' requirements.
* Understand technical constraints of live application / product, support business clients in understanding any 'requirement versus cost' trade-offs.
Technical Development (Design, Build, Unit Test) (50%)
* Provide input to end-to-end system technical designs that involve applications / products within domain, collaborating with other internal and supplier teams as required.
* Provide updates to end-to-end system design components as appropriate to ensure that quality and integrity is maintained throughout the software development lifecycle.
* Understand the various phases of the software development lifecycle.
* Undertake impact assessment of change requests against applications / products within domain.
* Produce component designs that are compatible with the end-to-end system design.
* Review test strategies to guarantee the quality of the delivered software assist in the diagnosis of system problems encountered during testing.
* Collaborate with other software engineers across teams to build technical solutions
Supplier Management (10%)
* Assist in supplier evaluation for specific project deliverables. Review supplier proposals for good practice and clear understanding of work to be done.
* Ensure that suppliers are provided with necessary technical support relating to Barclays systems, technologies, strategies and standards, to enable the supplier to successfully undertake their assignment.
Application Management (10%)
* Participate in technical implementation planning, ensuring that the integrity of live operations will be maintained.
* Support the handover of software into business-as-usual (BAU) operation, providing the relevant IT service teams with information and education relating to the system technology and function.
* Assist in the resolution of live incidents and system problems as and when required.
Project Management (5%)
* Assist in the identification, management and resolution of any software-related Risks, Assumptions, Issues and Dependencies (RAIDs).
* Track work and report progress to team leader on a timely basis
Team Leadership and Staff Development (10%)
* Understand emerging software development methods, tools and standards. Look for ways to apply as appropriate.
* Identify own development needs and seek opportunities to address these needs through guidance, coaching and formal training.
Knowledge & Expertise
* End-to-end software development lifecycle
* Software development methodologies, e.g. waterfall, agile
* Awareness of leading-edge tools, techniques, services within IT
* Ability to interface with infrastructure and service management areas
* Familiar with scheduling management technologies e.g. Autosys
* Hands on experience of Oracle based tools i.e. SQL Developer, SQL Loader, Import/Export Data Pump
* Linux Basic Shell Exposure
* Understanding Java fundamentals (no development)
* See 'Skills & Knowledge' below for full Technical Requirements
* Understanding customer needs and priorities to providing quality services.
* Using creative problem solving and successfully executing tasks.
* Explaining, advocating and expressing facts and ideas in a variety of settings both orally and in writing.
* Demonstrates a good end-to-end understanding of the systems processing for the business area and can debate where appropriate with senior and heads of business.
* Awareness of, adherence to and compliance with governance, risk policies, procedures and compliance policies.
* The ability and willingness to escalate breaches of policies and procedures.
* The ability to maintain appropriate documentation.
* Has a working knowledge of the key issues in implementing security systems.
Personal & Interpersonal
* Demonstrate integrity, initiative and commitment when interacting with colleagues & clients.
* Win together through collaboration & teamwork.
* Be aware of personal development needs and work to gain the experiences and training necessary to progress professionally and remain current.
* Contribute to the bank's well-being & culture