Engineering & development
Engineering & development
Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, we operate in over 50 countries and employ over 140,000 people. We provide corporate banking solutions to businesses with an annual turnover of more than £5 million in the UK, and to large local companies, financial institutions and multinationals in non-UK markets. We support the success and growth of our clients by providing lending, risk management, cash and liquidity management, trade finance, and asset and sales financing. To that end, we hire and develop only the best people in the industry. We look for talented, tenacious individuals who are hungry to progress and eager to grow their knowledge.
Channels Engineering has more than 1000 employees and is responsible for delivering a seamless, end-to-end technology solution to its clients, supporting the vision and strategy for Technology & Operations across Barclays. Our mandate is to drive digital simplification and mass automation for our customers & colleagues, enabled by a relentless commitment to a number of key priorities: simplify our technology estate, optimize the way we work, automate customer and colleague journeys, standardize and automate our controls and drive the digital strategy. This focus is underpinned by two fundamental principles: protect our service; and inspire, empower, develop and reward our people. Our technology platforms support a wide range of services, including Transactional Products, Savings, Loans, Mortgages, Investments, FX, Cash and Transactions, Trade & Working Capital, Debt and Payments.
Overall purpose of role
1 Accountability for the delivery of all system change (to agreed time, quality, cost and functionality) for one or more complex/large products / applications in the respective product domain or channel. This will include software delivered across the end-to-end software development lifecycle.
2 To be recognised as the "go to" contact for domain queries, product / application queries and major incident escalation / management. The Product Development Manager will be accountable where the BTSO teams will be responsible for incident and problem resolution.
Product Road Mapping
1 Accountable for the delivery of product roadmaps for future direction of the product.
2 Accountable for promoting proactive remedial strategies to prevent future system problems and to improve the quality of delivered systems.
1 Be recognised as the key point of contact for a product or suite of products, drawing on all relevant Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
2 To ensure that the quality and stability of the products / applications are maintained across their lifetime. Reviewing and approving changes proposed and in-line with the relevant architectures
3 To use system specific knowledge and expertise to define strategies that provides business solutions. To effectively manage a large team including work assignment, personal development and career planning, ensuring skilled resources levels are maintained, coaching / mentoring and driving/leading change to organisational transformation / process improvement.
Supply and Demand Management Product Consultancy 2.5%
Risk and Control Objective
* Experience of working in a cross-functional Agile team
* Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD) and/or Behaviour Driven Development (BDD)
* Experience of various automated testing, continuous integration and deployment tools and practices
* Ability to mentor team members in the application of Agile development techniques
* Has knowledge of relevant emerging technologies within the market appropriate to the product domain.
* Maintaining an in-depth understanding of relevant and up to date technical knowledge, applications and techniques.
* Using technical knowledge to create new opportunities and solutions.
* Broad technical skills and deep understanding of specific technologies used by the product domain.
* Awareness of leading-edge tools, techniques and services within IT
* Significant experience of managing change across the software development lifecycle.
* Experience of influencing and managing business and technology stakeholders
* Large-scale blue-chip organisations such as Barclays (preferred)
* Broad knowledge of Barclays Group (beneficial)
1 Responsibility for all supply and demand of work into a large team, which includes managing both Barclays resources and SI partners / third party suppliers.
* Provide consultancy and drive/lead change for new initiatives, to assist in the definition of business solutions or technical strategies.
* Support the production of Technical Feasibility Studies (TFS), High Level Designs (HLD) and End to End Designs for projects.
* Support the production of Advice and Guidance (A&G) documents, plan and estimates.
Stakeholder Management 15%
Responsible for driving and influencing with a challenging stakeholder engagement for the product, across the Business and IT functions
Risk Management 2.5%
Product Road Mapping 10%
* Drive and influence the product road map indicating the future direction of the product. Aligning both Business and Technical direction.
* Accountable for promoting proactive remedial strategies to prevent future system problems and to improve the quality of delivered systems.
* Lead evaluation and review of emerging methods, tools and standards. Apply new ways of working as appropriate.
Product Development 35%
* Ensure that teams deliver flawless changes to the products in support of client requirements. Change delivered to agreed time, quality, cost and functionality. Scale of change for medium to large/complex projects.
1 Support business clients and Project Managers in shaping scope
2 Support testing approach and mitigation to minimise risk
3 Support direction regarding constraints of production environment with balance of scope v risk v cost
* Ensure that all work is completed to budget, time and quality requirements. Promote need for documentation of all work in accordance with agreed standards, and with re-use in mind.
* Accountable or the delivery and change management of a product or set of products through the use of internal, SI partners and 3rd party resources.
* Understand and has experience of working through the various phases of the software development lifecycle.
* Accountable for impact assessments from Change Requests against development lifecycle. Challenge back on any time / cost / quality / requirements issues.
* Proactive engagement with Project managers, End to End Designers and Test managers to ensure successful delivery against requirements.
* Drive collaboration across the all impacted teams to ensure successful delivery.
* Accountable for component designs to ensure compatibility with the end-to-end system design.
* Accountable for ensuring testers deliver test strategies and Test Closure Memo's are signed off to guarantee the quality of the delivered system.
* Set quality standards / benchmarks and establish measurement processes, taking remedial action where there are quality shortfalls. Ensure that the quality of deliverables produced by the product area satisfies RBB technology quality standards
* Ensure that appropriate measures and performance indicators and Application Management / Application Delivery metrics are in place and actively managed (i.e. product / industry benchmarking, where appropriate)
* Deliver on cost targets for the product (e.g. ensuring the right onshore / offshore mix)
Application Maintenance Support 10%
Supply and Demand 5%
Team Leadership and Staff Development 10%
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.