Engineering & development
Engineering & development
Global IT Infrastructure is responsible for running all aspects of Infrastructure for Schroders globally. We have representative support personnel in most global offices, but the bulk of architecture & engineering happens in London, Singapore & New York. Historically the teams have been quite silo'd, not considering themselves as one global team. This has now changed with the creation of a global Infrastructure strategy. As such this has opened up several new global roles.
Overview of role
The Oracle database platform underpins many of our Global applications and as such requires high availability, consistently high performance and effective monitoring. We run Oracle databases in our London and Singapore data centres however there are few global standards in place. The estate requires significant redesign to in order to optimise, standardise and simplify both the technology and operational processes to facilitate a move towards automation and self service. We utilise both physical and virtual servers to host our Oracle estate and are looking to implement an automation platform. The estate has undergone a great deal of change over the past years, but as we migrate into new datacenters and major projects, we are currently architecting what the future looks like. This role will work very closely with the platform heads and engineers across the Unix, Storage and Database functions to ensure infrastructure provides the best service possible.
This role has been created as part of the globalisation of the infrastructure teams & technologies for Schroders. This role will build, design, test and deliver the strategy provided by the technical authority for this vertical. They will be responsible for the globally delivery and travel to the regions will be potentially required from time to time.
* Work closely with the Head of Wintel to deliver strategic goals.
* Design, build and test the global Oracle database platform.
* Work closely with the support functions, the Storage and Unix engineers to ensure all designs & deployments are globally consistent, scalable and supportable.
* Establish and document global standards for hardware & configuration.
* Maintain high-levels of uptime across the global Oracle estate.
* Build a platform, capable of delivering automation at every opportunity.
* In-depth knowledge of multiple versions of Oracle, Dataguard, RMAN and Unix/Linux operating systems.
* Experience of delivering improvement through debugging code and optimising queries.
* Creation and development of scheduled database maintenance routines.
* In-depth knowledge of Oracle AWR and Solarwinds DPA.
* In-depth technical knowledge of SQL & PL/SQL development skills and UNIX shell scripting.
* In-depth knowledge of Delphix, volume management, storage, backup, monitoring and configuration management software.
* Detailed knowledge and experience of building capacity planning and capacity management processes.
* In-depth knowledge of security and vulnerability based approach to security hardening.
* Have a history of working in a mission-critical environment.
* Background in financial services or similar regulated industry.
* Experienced in datacenter deployments & green field sites.
* Experienced in converged datacenter design & next gen storage.
* Understand the importance of metrics & statistics when measuring the performance & capacity.