Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, we operate in over 50 countries and employ over 140,000 people. We provide corporate banking solutions to businesses with an annual turnover of more than £5 million in the UK, and to large local companies, financial institutions and multinationals in non-UK markets. We support the success and growth of our clients by providing lending, risk management, cash and liquidity management, trade finance, and asset and sales financing. To that end, we hire and develop only the best people in the industry. We look for talented, tenacious individuals who are hungry to progress and eager to grow their knowledge.
Barclays Corporate Real Estate Solutions (Barclays CRES) is responsible for delivering services to every building in our real estate portfolio. Our primary aim is to acquire, create, mobilise and operate high quality financial services office environments in the most efficient and cost effective manner. This requires the management of sites ranging from small regional retail properties to large and iconic offices buildings.
Barclays CRES is one of the first group wide functions in Barclays and was created in May 2011 under the leadership of Vivienne Grafton. More than 800 employees from the various CRES functions in Barclays were brought together to form a global organisation which enables our property portfolio to be managed as a single common utility.
We act as a partner to the business, scaling to its needs and strategic goals. We provide a wide range of services to our customers - employees around the world - including property acquisition, construction and building services
Overall purpose of role
The role supports the development, mobilisation and execution of location strategies for Barclays - "where we locate our workforce and why" - and definition of the associated business cases.
* Strong people management and leadership skills, with the ability to inform and guide decisions. Track record of influencing at senior executive level and leading fact based, analysis-led opportunity identification
* Experience of working in a matrix management environment
* Strong analytical/problem solving mindset with the ability and willingness to get into the details for solutions
* Ability to build and leverage relationships
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to manage upwards and downwards, working closely with senior business leaders
* Demonstrable expertise in supporting large complex business and technical programmes of strategic significance
* Experience of programme mobilisation, initiation and planning in addition to management of established programmes
* Experience of managing business change/transformation challenges
* Leadership skills with evidence of managing large teams across a range of disciplines and locations
* Ability to negotiate and solicit engagement at all levels of the organisation, and strong experience of working with senior stakeholders (up to and including MD level)
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and influencing skills able to work with Executive committees, senior stakeholders
* Integrity and trustworthiness in order to maintain the team's reputation and standing
* Strong problem solving ability to address new situations and efficiently handle any incidents which may arise
* Gravitas and ability to have a strong impact and to influence key decisions, budget management, cost and benefit management and resource allocation
* Experience of managing complex change successfully.
* Proven track record of working in the Financial Services Industry
* Network of industry peers and location strategy related vendors.
* Support of the development of location strategies and associated business cases including for rightshoring, site expansion, relocations and consolidations
* Following creation of the strategies and business cases, support of their successful execution
* Building and maintaining strong relationships with the appropriate Infrastructure leads, location leads and other key stakeholders, to ensure successful deliveries.
Strategy and Analysis
* Creation of Group location strategies and corresponding Business Unit / Function location strategies
* Generation of strategy, approach and analysis presentations for senior executies / governance committees
* Creation of and adherence to methodologies to evaluate and optimize across a range of location strategy and related solutions, needing to manage analysis across multiple work streams with aggressive delivery timescales while maintaining the integrity of the process and analysis
* Support of standards definition for future business cases, establishing appropriate cost / benefit tracking and governance processes at an overall and individual project level
* Maintenance and use of baseline and trending tools to track performance of the real estate portfolio
* Evaluation, judgement and analysis within complex and evolving environments to provide solutions to problems, identify opportunities and enhance existing systems and processes
* Financial analysis to determine and support delivery of benefits and management of costs.
Programme / Project Management, Execution and Benefits Management Support
* Identification, planning and coordination of sets of projects and work streams within a programme of business change, managing their interdependencies in support of a specific business and real estate strategy
* Support to delivery workstreams, PMO functions and Real Estate functions in delivery of Location Strategy and Real Estate deliveries
* Support of the tracking and delivery of planned benefits for given strategies, projects and intiaitives.
* Interface with global and regional functional heads, CRES Centres of Excellence, regional business and operational leadership and various Barclays governance bodies, as well as external consultancies and benchmark providers
* Ensuring that stakeholder mapping is comprehensive and considers internal stakeholders including Accountable Executives, governance forums, end users, others business, functions, and SMEs; and external stakeholders including clients, media and regulatory bodies
* Development and management of stakeholder plans to ensure that all stakeholders are appropriately engaged and aware of their roles in the programme or projects
* Initiates and influences relationships with and between key stakeholders, initiating procedures to improve relations and open communications with and between stakeholders.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards