Legal Project Manager (Canary Wharf)
A 12 month contract with Barclays. Please note to be considered for this role you must have legal project management experience from a law firm or in-house.
Overall purpose of role
Barclays works with 140+ external legal providers. The Legal function is accountable for maximising value from our relationships with these vendors and ensuring appropriate cost, quality and risk controls are in place.
The Legal Project Manager role within the Legal Project Management team will be responsible for providing commercially-focused legal project management and operational support to the Legal function. The remit of the team is to introduce greater control and transparency of projected costs and elicit more meaningful MI on a select group of major matters with a significant combined budget.
The successful applicant will be capable of undertaking this work, managing the requirements of multiple senior stakeholders, effectively engaging with internal and external parties on complex matters and providing globally consistent processes which meet the needs of legal
Legal Project Management
Overall, ensure that assigned legal major matters are planned and managed effectively, with strong emphasis on commercial performance and achieving the most effective fee arrangements from legal suppliers, while promoting greater internal awareness of financial spend and forecasts alongside the value being received.
Financial Analysis & Reporting
Assist Finance, Lead Lawyers, Legal Business Managers and Legal Project Portfolio Manager in confirming project costs and reporting any variances against agreed budgets. Facilitate the production of meaningful financial MI that will provide ongoing transparency over project budgeting and commercial optimisations.
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
* Experienced Legal Project Manager with strong understanding of multiple formal project delivery methodologies including Lean/Agile/Waterfall knowledge along with the ability to deliver continuous improvement aligned to a central strategy.
* Experienced commercial negotiator / financial manager with robust history of challenging, setting and controlling significant budgets across multiple complex projects
* Experience of working in a major law firm or in the legal function of a financial services organisation.
* Strong influencing skills, with the ability to challenge and provide steer to stakeholders.
* Ability to balance 'big picture' perspective with strong attention to complex detail
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a core competence in streamlining and enhancing reporting for a Legal audience.
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
* Delivery focused and proactive individual, able to act on own initiative and work effectively towards objectives while maintaining good communication with colleagues and escalating where appropriate
* Team player with collaborative style and ability to quickly build trust/credibility and strong working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels
* Ability to work under pressure with competing deadlines and balance priorities to deliver a high quality outcome
* Solution-focused, creative problem-solver who strives for the right outcome
* Recognises and values diversity, inclusion and citizenship