Legal Counsel- Restructuring and Recoveries
About Restructuring & Recoveries Legal
The Restructuring and Recoveries Legal provides restructuring and insolvency advice as across the Bank, in particular the Special Asset Management and Business Support teams ("Restructuring Teams") which are the specialist business units supporting those customers of the Bank who are experiencing financial difficulty the advice will primarily focus on secured and unsecured debt positions. The team also provides specialist advice to other teams or areas of the Bank where specialist technical knowledge is required. The team is a subset of the Banking Legal department of Barclays International.
Overall purpose of role
The successful candidate will become part of a team that provides the Restructuring Teams with advice on cases within their portfolio as well as assisting other team members with projects and cases. The candidate will also be running matters independently and providing technical expertise in coverage areas which are likely to be focused on SME customers, but this will vary depending on business demand and team resourcing.
* Proactively forge relationships with the Restructuring Teams and broad range of business areas and third parties in order to encourage the best quality output and service from the team.
* Participate in the development and implementation of training for business and support areas and for other members of the Legal Function.
* Participate in the development of processes, policies and procedures designed to reduce legal risk and/or increase the efficiency of the team.
* Providing legal and reputational risk management support for the Restructuring Teams transactions that legal coverage is provided in an effective and efficient manner.
* Collaborating closely with compliance and other infrastructure teams on cross-functional issues relevant to the Restructuring Teams' business and helping to ensure an appropriate governance framework is in place at all times.
* Fostering collaboration with other legal teams both within Banking and more broadly to ensure sharing of know-how and efficient legal coverage.
* Drafting, amending and/or reviewing and advising on documentation.
* Reviewing and advising on comfort letters, legal and disclosure opinions and other conditions precedent
* Instructing and managing external counsel
* Producing know-how articles, delivery/organisation of training on topical issues to legal department and business
* Drafting, maintaining and updating standard form documents, templates and practice notes and assisting driving policy and guideline formulation
* Ability to work as part of a team and contribute to the development of the team as a whole;
* The ability to develop and build relationships both internally and externally and to engender trust;
* Delivery under pressure;
* Effective communication and drafting;
* Provision of focused, technically correct commercial legal advice which demonstrates an understanding of the business context and effective problem solving;
* Capable of lateral thinking;
* Interest in tackling new technical areas of law without prior experience; and
* Ability to work under own initiative, including driving change through improvements to existing processes.
* Qualified lawyer (Solicitor, Barrister, Attorney or equivalent), with significant experience in restructuring and insolvency.
* Previous in house experience within financial services sector or for a significant, regional, national, city of London or international law firm.
* Strong knowledge of general banking law.
* Experience of contentious insolvency matters.
* Experience of restructuring syndicated or multibank loan facilities.
* Personal Insolvency knowledge and experience.
* Experience of originating syndicated or multibank loan facilities.
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US. Our goal is to become the bank of choice by providing superior services to customers and clients and supporting our stakeholders via a commercially successful business that generates long-term sustainable returns.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
Barclays Values & Diversity
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.