Overall purpose of role:
The Developer role is responsible the production of high quality and fit for purpose application software. In this instance the role is for a Developer responsible for the building of Java based Barclaycard applications.
The role involves working alongside stakeholders, testers and designers to take requirements and transform them into working, deployable applications that will ultimately delight and surprise Barclaycard customers.
Innovation and continuous improvement is an extremely important part of the role as well as being a role model to other team members and colleagues.
Key Accountabilities and Skills required:
This section should include:
* Accountable for the production of high quality code on a personal level adhering to all software engineering quality standards / benchmarks.
* Collaborate and communicate with other developers to build technical solutions
* Responsible for inputting into technical decisions that require a strong understanding of the problem domains
* Provide technical advice and guidance to other team members
* Embrace innovation by actively advocating new tools, processes and technical developments to drive continuous improvement throughout the software development lifecycle by maintaining an in-depth understanding of relevant and up to date knowledge of applications and techniques.
* Knowledge of emerging software development methods, tools and standards and actively keep this knowledge current.
* Identify own development needs and seek opportunities to address these needs through guidance, coaching and formal training.
* Manage requirements to understand how both functional and non-functional aspects (e.g. capacity, availability, response times, etc.) need to be met.
* Manage requirements to understand how they will be tested following production of code.
* Strong experience in creative problem solving and successfully executing tasks.
Your Skills and Qualifications will include
* End-to-end software development lifecycle
* Agile Software development techniques
* Test Driven Development and automated testing techniques and tools
* Knowledge of Object Orientated Programming/Design and associated concepts.
* Deep understanding of the importance of code quality and the tools that can help the development communities monitor and maintain quality (e.g. SonarQube)
* Ability to work in a cross-platform environment (Windows, MacOS, Linux).
* JEE/Java and Java based frameworks (e.g. Spring, Hibernate, etc)
* WebServices / Rest / SOAP
* Version Control Software (Git / SVN)
* XML & JSON
* Experience of working within a regulatory driven change environment
The Benefits: Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Our Culture: Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here.
It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.*