Engineering & development
Engineering & development
Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. Please visit our website for more information.
Operations and Technology/Functions Transformation/Treasury Transformation Team
You will work within Functions Transformation organization in the Treasury Transformation group. This group is responsible for the definition and delivery of change initiatives into the Treasury business from envisioning to adoption. The Treasury Transformation team is a multi-disciplined group ranging from technical development, technical analysis, product ownership and project management. We use a highly collaborative agile approach to delivering holistic change.
The Treasury function sits within the Global Finance Directorate function and manages the supply and demand of money and capital to create sustainable value for Barclays. Amongst other things, Treasury are responsible for planning and forecasting the firms 1.3trillionGBP balance sheet, risk managing and stress testing the firm's 600 billionGBP banking book, managing capital worth 53billionGBP and managing the firms liquidity and funding needs and buffers. Treasury maintain crucial relationships with investors, shareholders,
Overall purpose of role:
Treasury are seeking a dynamic Senior Developer with experience delivering innovative solutions in close collaboration with the Business. Reporting to the technical development manager, the candidate will play a pivotal role in the execution of the strategy, identifying opportunities to realise the strategic architecture within the constraints of regulatory milestones. The individual will be required to work closely with colleagues across Functions Technology (Treasury, Risk and Finance) to ensure the technical solution leverages common components, standard proven patterns and engineering principles.
This is a great opportunity to help drive forward the strategy of a major expanding area within this global Bank on a multi-year programme of work.
Key Accountabilities and Skills required:
o Key specific accountabilities.
o Provide technical expertise on Scala and Cloudera Hadoop
o Evangelise DevOps to improve the quality and efficiency of delivery
o Be a developer and architect within an agile scrum team
o Participate in support for existing implementation
o Contribute to the definition of development standards, patterns and techniques
o Active and positive contributor to model/design storming sessions, sprint demos, planning sessions and retrospectives
o Translate high level solutions into high quality technical artefacts; thinks 'outside of the box' to support the business in delivering its strategic objectives within the constraints of a regulatory environment
o Drive the adoption of Lean and Agile techniques
o Maintain a high quality set of documentation
o Stakeholder management and leadership.
o Stakeholders will include subject matter experts and senior managers from Vice President to Managing Director level in the Treasury and Treasury Transformation organizations.
o Successful candidate will be able to discuss and influence technical detail in depth from a perspective of actual development experience on real projects.
o Decision making and problem solving.
o Successful candidate will equally be able to engage in detailed dialogue with subject matter experts in order to drive consensus on solutions.
Risk and Control: All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Your Skills and Qualifications will include
* The candidate is expected to be a strong technologist with experience of both application and data architectures
* Bachelor's degree (or above) in Computer Science or related discipline
* Experience of working as a developer in a collaborative but disciplined agile delivery environment
* Desirable to have experience of agile delivery in a data centric, regulatory environment
* Domain knowledge: Treasury/Risk/Finance (nice to have); Financial Services (desirable)
Technical Skills Required:
* Extensive experience in solving Big Data problems using one of more of HDFS, HBase, Impala, Hive, Avro, Oozie, Spark and Solr
* Extensive experience in the Cloudera Hadoop distribution
* Strong grounding in software development with exposure to Scala
* In-memory / grid computing platforms e.g. Spark
* An appreciation of data architecture principles such as Dimensional and 3NF Modelling
* Experience of REST API design
* Enterprise reporting (e.g. Business Objects) and data visualisation tools (e.g. QlikView and Business Objects) (desirable)
Skills / Aptitude Required:
* Provide technical leadership to peers
* Able to produce detailed technical specifications
* Ensures quality and agility is present through adoption of continuous integration, test/behavioural driven testing and automated deployment
* Awareness of different cultural background of users and team members
* Ability to work under pressure to deliver to committed timescales
* Exemplary team player
The Benefits: Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Our Culture: Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.