Overall purpose of role
The role holder is responsible for assessing and helping ensure the sufficiency and consistency of franchise-wide financial crime risk management practices and internal controls, as reflected in written procedures and business practices. This is accomplished by conducting assessments, targeted reviews, and ad hoc assignments that help management identify, remediate, and escalate emerging financial crime issues.
In order to drive the highest quality standard, the role holder will actively perform and manage quality checks on the enhanced due diligence work performed in the team. The role holder will be responsible for ensuring any errors identified are corrected. The role holder will be responsible for on-going training of their team members - both on the job, in 1:1 sessions, via team meetings, and via semi-annual refresher trainings.
The role holder will be expected to self identify training, procedure, process, control failures within their team. This includes formally raising to senior management & Risk and Control for logging & action planning. The role holder will then be responsible for working with those escalation points to root cause the issue and develop holistic actions plans. This self identification process within the line management function is critically important given the current level of regulatory scrutiny on financial crime functions (e.g. regulatory enforcement orders at a number of peer banks).
* Line management responsibilities for analysts or AVPs, performing the BAU EDD function for onboarding and ongoing review for both banking and markets.
* Responsible for analyzing and advising on the risk presented by high risk customers, analyzing and advising on complex structures for personal and institutional customers.
* Performing ad hoc reviews to identify potential financial crime risk for prospective customers, writing detailed memos documenting the thought process in identifying and mitigating financial crime risk.
* Provide guidance and training to junior members of the team and other stakeholders.
* Manage a series of control reports - aimed at identifying items which may have been missed by the analyst and/or the second check.
* Ensure that adequate procedures are written, regular review is evidenced / documented, and items are investigated and cleared in a timely manner.
* Ability to understand and analyse complex Financial Crimes risk events and execute a plan to deliver effective tactical and strategic solutions.
* Excellent understanding of broader business strategy, and apply this lens when making functional decisions.
* Aptitude to operate at varying levels of detail (strategic to close attention) and able to prioritise key activities regionally.
* Conduct complex reviews and provide simple explanations as well as real world case studies and is able to effectively present/ facilitate EDD training if required.
* Identify and manage any aged population of cases via weekly and monthly MI Reporting.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
* Work with Financial Crime globally to ensure cases escalated to 2LoD due to a significant Financial Crime concern are completed in a timely manner. Clearly articulate the importance of the FC Control Environment to the business.
* Work regularly with senior business stakeholder to ensure prioritization and business needs are sufficiently met.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
* Bachelors Degree
* 3-5+ years of experience in financial services
* 3-5+ years of EDD / Financial Crime risk identification/mitigation
* 3-5+ years of team development and production line management
* Experience in and strong understanding of AML, Sanctions, governance and regulatory control frameworks and best practices.
* Experience with Know Your Customer, Due Diligence, and Enhanced Due Diligence processes.
* Strong ability to multi-task and prioritise effectively.
* Effective and articulate (written/oral) communicator.
* Ability to develop and maintain strong internal and external relationships.
* Strong understanding of the front to back onboarding process.
* Ability to implement change.
* Understanding of risk management and regulatory demands.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Experience in managing people.