Engineering & development
Engineering & development
The DevOps team, part of the Enterprise Architecture, enables Product Teams (c.50) globally to provide value to Business early through collaboration, integration, automation and innovation.
The Team ensures that the "DevOps Product", provided by the Team, always meets the requirements of global Product Teams by constantly measuring capability and outputs, gathering feedback and implementing the required changes through innovation, improvements, and evolution.
The Team owns all DevOps related tools and processes within the SDLC.
The set of tools behind the core capabilities (c.20) and processes are collectively known as the "DevOps Platform". In addition to offering the basic delivery pipeline, it also offers advanced analytics in application development to improve product and service quality and speed of delivery.
In collaboration with other teams and functions, the team designs and implements tailored processes to remove constraints, reduce lead times etc.
The Team ensures that the DevOps culture is embedded into the fabric of global Product Teams and that they are self-sufficient in use of DevOps capabilities.
The Team provides ongoing SME Support for tools & processes and continuous coaching to teams & individuals as "DevOps Product" evolves.
Key duties and role overview
The main objective of this role is to support, maintain and enhance our DevOps Platform.
This role works closely with several teams.
The DevOps Support (DOS) Team, provides:
* 1st - 2nd line support for the DevOps Platform
* Incident Management
* Upgrades the DevOps Platform
* Basic training/advice to Product Team on the Platform
In relation to the DOS Team, this role will:
* Act as an escalation point, providing 3rd - 4th line support
* Own Problem Management
* Supervise upgrades (3-4 per month)
* Coach and train DOS staff
* SME-level training/advice to Product Team on the Platform
Tools, enabling capabilities of the Platform, are delivered by virtual DevOps Enablers teams. This role will work closely with them to ensure that deliverables are fully on-boarded by the DOS Team. As well as decommission replaced tools once the migration is completed.
In addition to the above, this role focuses on extending the functionality of existing tools by:
* Developing new features using c# or powershell
* Working with developers to code review and implement their additions to the Platform (e.g. custom build tasks, deployment steps etc.)
The Platform needs to be fully monitored. Monitoring metrics together with usage metrics are used to:
* ensure the Platform is performant and available
* enable Product Teams to understand the progress and quality of their code
* and how their service is performing in Production
As capabilities evolve the self-help guides and other training materials for the DevOps Platform will need to be kept up-to-date.
DevOps Platform Engineer will work with Infrastructure teams to enable and maintain integration of automated provisioning of infrastructure with the Platform.
The DevOps Champions (DOCs) team acts as a conduit between Product Teams and the central DevOps function. This role will work closely with DOCs to:
* aid the adoption of the Platform by Product teams
* improve the Platform based on the feedback from Product Teams