Engineering & development
Engineering & development
Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, we operate in over 50 countries and employ over 140,000 people. We provide corporate banking solutions to businesses with an annual turnover of more than £5 million in the UK, and to large local companies, financial institutions and multinationals in non-UK markets. We support the success and growth of our clients by providing lending, risk management, cash and liquidity management, trade finance, and asset and sales financing. To that end, we hire and develop only the best people in the industry. We look for talented, tenacious individuals who are hungry to progress and eager to grow their knowledge.
Infrastructure Services - Platform as a Service (PaaS)
Infrastructure Services is a global team based in EMEA, US, APAC and Africa. We are accountable for delivering and supporting resilient, secure infrastructure technology and services to customers, clients and colleagues, with a goal to build and run a commercial hosting and collaboration solutions at speed, whilst ensuring robust and resilient environments in a partnership oriented manner through a continuous improvement culture. Please visit our website here for more information.
Overall purpose of role:
Barclays has a stated ambition to become 'the automated bank', IT being a key contributor to this ambition. The technology infrastructure that supports this target state has begun to be developed: the Infrastructure Services (Technology Infrastructure) function will transform from an asset-based organisation to a service based organisation; the database team is part of this initiative. At the heart of driving this automation is knowledge of the estate. The DB Engineer role will function on the following major areas:
* Databases Inventory (DBInventory application) solution, engineering, extension and L3 support
* Databases Production DBaaS (database-as-a-server) solution, engineering, extension and production integration, and L3 support
Key Accountabilities and Skills required:
* Influence the strategy for DBInventory application, extended the service&solution, assisting products in onboarding, and estate management functions in leveraging this core service.
* Owning the strategy for DBaaS framework and application, extended the service&solution, assisting products in onboarding, and the organization to leverage the framework to drive and deliver automation and self-service capability
* Develop and deliver innovative solutions to provide better project delivery to our clients.
* Ensure clients/customers are kept up to date on progress of request, managing messages and setting expectations.
* Act as a Escalation Point for Technical Project issues using the DBInventory and DBaaS
* Delivery of change to agreed levels, quality and cost
* Deliver an acceptable risk and compliance profile
Manage upwards and sideways in the Infrastructure-as-a-Services and Platform-as-a-Service organizations in Infrastructure Services to deliver on internal and external coordinators projects.Take accountability and responsibility for investigating new ways of working, constantly improving processes and procedures in the interests of the customer and the service. This will cover of owning, creating and/or improving solutions and process across the DBaaS and DBInventory, which are global solutions that support multiple DBMS's (MS SQL, Oracle, MariaDB, MonoDB, TeraData, Sybase, DB2) for a massive estate (4000+ SQL instance, 2000+ Oracle databases)
* Help others learn as leader, coach and mentor; work to create a climate that value learning and intelligent risk taking, with peers/colleagues outside the function, in the wider PaaS groups.
* Represent the DBaaS and DBInventory services to teams including Engineering, Architecture, Risk, Security, BCM
* Work with the Head of DBInventory to deliver this fundamental service to Estate Management, Risk and Product Managers
* Engage with internal stakeholders including Sourcing, Internal Audit, Group Risk and Group Security
Your Skills and Qualifications will include
* Extensive experience in application architecture and solutions design, with a specific bias towards:
* API and RESTful interface programming
* Understanding of DBaaS, IaaS concepts, and "Content as Code", "Infrastructure as Code" paradigms
* Microservice architecture best practices to design and build
* Strong understanding of both asynchronous callback and asynchronous promise based applications.
* Demonstrated mature and strong interpersonal skills, as required to communicate effectively with all levels of the organisation.
* Strong detailed skills SQL Server, across multiple versions, with SQL 2012 and AlwaysON
* Good knowledge of other Database Technologies MS SQL, Oracle, MariaDB, MonoDB, TeraData, Sybase, DB2) and wider knowledge of all Technology services.
* Build and maintain strong internal and external relationships and is confident in negotiating and influencing colleagues or stakeholders or clients.
* Understand the importance of compliance and adherence to procedures.
Risk and Control Objective:
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards