Administration - General services - desk
Administration - General services - desk
Barclays are looking to hire an experienced corporate lawyer for a senior role within the legal risk team.
This role will be focused on managing and supervising various centralised processes relating to Legal Risk and material contentious matters managed Legal, including but not limited to input to capital planning and regulatory stress tests, public legal disclosures in Barclays' results announcements, and associated internal and external reporting.
The role will also involve leading and participating in programmes of work relating to the delivery of a single and coherent Legal risk and control management strategy, including the implementation of changes to the regulatory, risk and governance landscape, such as structural reform or other Bank wide driven projects.
* Manage the co-ordination and input to various end to end processes and manage relationships with key stakeholders relating to Legal Risk and material contentious matters managed by Legal, including but not limited to:
* internal and external reporting, including reporting to Group and Legal Entity Boards, Group Ex Cos, Board Audit Committees and other committees as well as ad hoc requests from senior stakeholders.
* public disclosures in Barclays' results announcements relating to matters owned by Legal including, Legal matters, risk factors and content relating to Legal Risk as required. This involves collaboration with external disclosure counsel, Finance, Investor Relations, Barclays Corporate Secretariat, Group Corporate & Treasury Legal, Business General Counsels, Group General Counsel, and other partners across Legal to ensure risk management, transparency and accuracy of information.
* Input to capital planning and regulatory stress tests for material contentious matters managed by legal, including advising on regulatory requirements and methodology, overseeing centralised processes and governance, collaboration with Risk, Finance and Compliance functions as well as senior stakeholders.
* Have oversight of material contentious matters managed by Legal along with a skill set to understand the issues and provide diplomatic challenge and advice to Legal colleagues as appropriate in relation to such matters vis a vis the above processes.
* Act as a subject matter expert in relation to legal risk and governance activities. Help to build strong partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders, including other risk and control functions, partners across Legal, and external auditors.
* Lead or participate as required in Legal and management programmes relating to the implementation of structural reform and other regulatory or business changes, as well as helping to streamline and improve processes where appropriate.
* Proactively support team colleagues on work streams relating to Legal Risk, including the design, assessment and enhancement of Legal Risk policies, processes, controls and associated reporting across Legal and the wider Bank.
* Provide practical legal advice, guidance and training support for Legal teams and business stakeholders in relation to Legal Risk governance, control and risk management and other legal issues such as legal privilege and minimising prejudice.
* Supervise and manage junior colleagues to support deliverables and objectives of the wider team as well as line management where appropriate.
* Keep up to date on new legal and regulatory developments, and attend seminars and training, as appropriate.
Risk, Governance and Control Objective
* Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework, Sox requirements and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
* English Qualified lawyer (Solicitor, Barrister, Legal Executive) or equivalent.
* Degree or equivalent.
* Strong analytical skills and ability to provide practical and effective advice to minimise legal risk issues in relation to complex problems.
* Delivery focused, working to high standards of performance with ability to work under pressure and deliver to tight deadlines and multiple demands.
* Exceptional attention to detail.
* Excellent communicator, with strong drafting and legal advisory skills (written and oral) as well as presentation and interpersonal skills.
* Influencing and negotiations skills. Ability to bring people along.
* Ability to take decisions autonomously, without undue supervision or intervention of line management, and to supervise others where appropriate.
* Technological proficiency, including advanced skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
* Line management experience.
* Some project management experience.
* Effective relationship management.
* Understanding of the requirements of legal risk management in a financial institution.
* Some experience of advising on contentious matters and/or disclosure and transparency rules either in-house within the financial services industry or for a significant regional, national or City of London law firm.
* A willingness to embrace new areas of law and regulatory frameworks and work outside of 'comfort zone'.
* Experience of collaborating with senior stakeholders either in-house or as clients.