Business Manager- Legal
The Business Management team reports to the Head of Legal Services, and forms part of the broader Legal Function Management team which also comprises the Change Management, Commercial Management and Risk, Governance & Control teams. The Business Management team is further sub-divided into teams which are aligned to one or more of members of the Group Legal Executive Committee.
The Business Management team provides operational support to the Legal function, principally providing a business and change management capability to enable effective management of both development initiatives and maintenance activities.
This Business Manager will be accountable for the provision of strategic planning services, financial and operational control to the General Counsel ('GC') for Barclays UK and members of the Barclays UK Legal Leadership Team ('LExCo') and will act as a single point for contact on risk, governance and change management issues.
Specifically, the role includes:
* Proactively lead financial management, risk management, governance and resourcing for BUK Legal
* Responsible for optimizing MI and efficiency reporting and analysis to the BUK LExCo in order to drive commercial decision making and support engagement with key stakeholders
* Working with other Business Managers and Legal Function Management teams to identify, share and adopt best practices
* Ownership of budgeting and forecasting activities and partnering with the BUK LExCo, HR and Finance as needed to execute these activities
* Responsible for ensuring that cost and headcount commitments are delivered through maintaining a detailed understanding of these commitments, driving commercially-based decisions, the robust management of risks against delivery, and the identification and delivery of incremental operational efficiencies
* Lead and develop initiatives, together with LExCo to identify, prioritize and develop opportunities for cost savings or avoidance
* Undertake ad-hoc financial reporting and deep dives
* Strong understanding of, and proactively works towards, agreed business objectives
* Ability to balance both detail and 'big picture' perspective.
* Financial management experience, preferably overseeing functional and project budgeting and expense and cost management.
* Ability to multi-task and prioritise across various different activities.
* Strong organizational skills and extensive knowledge/proven ability in project management.
* Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
* Delivery focused and proactive individual, able to act on own initiative.
* Self-motivated, with ability to take initiative and work with limited supervision.
* Team player who proactively collaborates across the different legal teams.
* Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills; adept at delivering results through others.
Skills & Experience Required
* Experience of working within a Business or Change management function in financial services, and/or:
* Experience working within a Legal department or law firm, including supporting a General Counsel or partner.
* Preferably demonstrable experience with dedicated systems such as Sharepoint and online Purchase to Pay systems utilising eProcurement and eInvoicing.
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
* Extensive Business Management background
* Strong stakeholder management skills
* Can work within an agile and changing environment
* Lead teams
* Building strong relationships
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
* Accountancy and/or consultancy background
* Ideally will have a banking or legal background
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US. Our goal is to become the bank of choice by providing superior services to customers and clients and supporting our stakeholders via a commercially successful business that generates long-term sustainable returns.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
To be considered for this role, click on the apply button now.
Barclays Values & Diversity
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.